9/2: Learning Through Writing

Please post your 100 word responses here!

Discussion: Pick one concept, idea, or strategy from Learning Through Writing that you think will improve your writing this semester. Explain why. Also, choose one term you are unfamiliar with and thoroughly define it.

19 Responses to 9/2: Learning Through Writing

1. I believe Evidence from the “Elements of the Academic Essay” by Gordon Harvey will help me improve my writing the most. Evidence is all about the data, examples, details and facts that you use to summarize or support your thesis. I think what makes your writing from good to great in the eyes of the reader is when you can show them the point that you are trying to make and them agreeing with you. From personal experience, I tend do enjoy readings that I can agree on. I feel when I read these writers work, they are viewing that topic the way I view it. The more facts you give the reader, the more attention it grabs from them and in a way gets the message across to the point where the reader understands it.

2. one concept that i think will improve my writing this semester is “Evidence” from the ‘Elements of Academic Essay’ by Gorden Harvey. Evidence is something that is incredibly important when trying to prove something through your essay.Furthermore, in an essay, evidence is what makes the reader understand what message you are trying to convey and how well the evidence is evinced through your essay brings more attention form people.Regardless the truth behind the matter, how you plan to play with your evidence also plays and important role in catching the attention from people. Any kind of natural thought when bought under the light of science, technology or any type of evidence is an acceptable fact to most of us. Thus, providing evidence is where the power of destiny exists.One word that i was confused with was “accurately”, which means providing the right information that the reader can trust rather than giving an evidence that one cannot rise arguments about.

3. Ardit Gjoni says:

A strategy that I would consider useful for improving my writing this semester would be “Playing Peacemaker.” It is always for the best to not be exposed to a single source of information when other perspectives also raise a good point. Melding together the logical aspects of multiple sources into one, along with your own spin, is what drives us closer towards a universally agreed notion. I consider that it would be a skill worth having for my writing, since it wouldn’t be reasonable to completely ignore what the other side has to say. One side may have made numerous great arguements, while still lacking a proper analysis of the situation as a whole. This strategy drives me to think abstractly, and be the crafter of a new notion: one that looks through multiple sides of a topic, without only concluding to one aspect. A term I was not familiar with was interrupting modifer which is additional information added to a sentence, that is not needed to make it complete, but does give a more thorough background on the entirety of the situation. It is not always neccessary to include the additional information, but it does put the reader more into the perspective of the writer.

4. Gurjot Singh says:

The strategy from “Learning Through Writing” that I think will help improve my writing the most this semester is “Ten Sentence Patterns”. Whenever I have to connect common information together, and make it sound presentable, I always get confused about how to do it and wether to use a conjunction or a sign, such as a comma or a colon. I am much more comfortable using conjunctions, but I feel like sometimes they are not the right thing to use . I feel as though my writing is not complete when I can not connect my sentences in a well organized and presentable manner. I feel like this strategy will really make me feel more confident about my writing, and will improve the way I connect my ideas in my writing. I feel that it will make my writing more interesting to the reader. Piggybacking is when you agree, in your writing, with a well known scholar. It makes you seem more sophisticated and is a very safe way to write about a matter.

5. One strategy from”Learning Through Writing” that i think will improve my writing is “style”.The reason why i say this is because usually my essay has poor use of vocabulary and sentence structure and the style of it will not be exact and clear. If i improve this strategy in my writing, i am sure that i will be able to write essays of any topic with confidence.
    The word that i was unfamiliar with was leapfrogging, which means to surpass or overtake another to move into a leading or dominant position.

6. Hurriya Hassan says:

One strategy from Learning Through Writing that I think will improve my writing this semester is “Integrating Sources and Indicating Stance” by Jason Tougaw. I believe that being introduced to this strategy will be extremely helpful because it will improve the language I use to introduce my sources. Being able to introduce my sources properly without using common words like “says” or “writes” will make my writing stronger and will show confidence in my writing. Learning new verbs to introduce my sources will also expand my knowledge on new words and also make me comfortable in using those words throughout the essays I write in the future.
    One word I had difficulty understanding was boasts. Upon looking up this word, I learned the definition, which is to “talk with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about one’s achievements, possessions, or abilities.” In other words to brag.

7. Kevin Gomez says:

One strategy from “learning through writing” I think that will help improve my writing is the strategy Style. I want to better my choices of words and make my essay structure more persuading to the reader. Using style correctly, I will be able to demonstrate the topic of my idea more clearly and present it in a fashion the reader will find engaging.In highschool, on my essays my teachers would sometimes tell me I get off the main point of my topic. Also by the end I don’t leave a strong enough impact. So I think the strategy Style will help me become a better writer. One term I was unfamiliar with was Taxonomy. It means the classification of something.

8. Isabelle Davidov says:

A concept or strategy from Learning through Writing that will improve my writing this semester is to incorporate quotations in my writing. By properly using and citing quotations from different documents and articles I will be able to support my argument more in depth and be able to support my thesis statement better. Quoting and referring to different sources will help strengthen my argument more and make my points more clear to the reader.

A term that I was unfamiliar with in learning through writing was “refutes”. The definition of the term refutes is to prove something to be false.

9. Jay Lebowitz says:

One strategy that I think will improve my writing this semester is (strategy number seven) ‘Dropping Out’ – Finding Room on the Margins. I believe utilizing this strategy will be helpful because I feel this is an excellent method of creating new dialogue and developing new sorts of perspectives. This strategy seems to be an efficient manner of building an ‘author’s voice’ and consequently, a greater platform on which to brainstorm. This method seems to be a proactive form of gaining confidence in one’s knowledge and overall understanding of different subjects and deliberations.
    One term I was unfamiliar with was the verb ‘rails’ – I did not know what this word meant in the
    context and forum of a writing course. The answer? The definition of the term ‘rail’ in these circumstances is to criticize harshly, to attack or even scold another. This term is key to think about when reflecting on the institution of criticism and commentary.

10. Maria Hayee says:

One strategy I want to improve upon in my writing is “crossbreeding with something new”. Being able to improve upon this strategy will allow me to incorporate new ideas into my writing, thus producing new connections. I really want to improve in this specific area because it will help me extract useful information from a variety of sources. I will be able to gather new information and rethink the arguments that I had previously stated. By mastering this skill I will be able to broaden my interpretation of the information I have gathered and I will be able to strengthen my ideas and arguments in my writing. I want to become a writer who could clearly express an idea on paper and can effectively get it across to the audience. One unfamiliar word that I came across in my reading was ardent. The definition of ardent is, a person who displays strong enthusiasm or devotion to something.

11. Zainab Karim says:

In Learning Through Writing, I believe that the strategy “Elements of the Academic Essay” by Gordon Harvey will help me improve my writing throughout the semester. Of course, we were taught the basics of writing a successful and informative essay; there should be a thesis, body, and conclusion. However, within those parts, are many small components that are very important. A common mistake that I make is that I forget there must be an analysis part. As stated in the article, analysis goes “beyond observing or summarizing.” Rather than stating what is already known, it is important to go beyond that. One term, or rather, one strategy that I am unfamiliar with is “stance”. I use to assume that it was related to how you compiled your words. Stance is “the implied relationship of you, the writer, to your readers and subject.” It is the writers way of communicating with his or her reader through a specific style and tone.

12. Hamid Javed says:

I think the correct usage of “style” will help me improve my writing this semester. Usually in my writing, I subconsciously repeat words; this might inhibit the creativity of it. Choosing words and sentence structures carefully will help me by being exact, clear, and less repetitive. My style will keep me focused on the main idea and straight to the point. Developing my own style, will help me enjoy what I’m writing rather than take it as an “assignment”. An ethnographic essay is defined as describing an experience in the social world and the personal lives of individuals. An ethnographic essay requires us to collect experiential data by a variety of methods such as interviews, participant observations, or surveys.

13. Armen Bijimenian says:

This semester, I hope to improve on “playing peacemaker”. Playing peacemaker is identifying a conflict or dispute between two or more scholars, then resolving it using a new or more encompassing perspective. In most of my high school writing I would find sources that agreed with my thesis, and I would write a paragraph about the source and how it proves my thesis correct. I would not really compare the sources and find conflicts between them. I think this is a valuable tool that can be used to help argue a thesis. One word that I was not familiar with was stitching. Stitching is words that tie together parts of an argument by using transitions and recollections of earlier ideas.

14. Simcha Weinman says:

One concept I learned from Learning Through Writing that i think will improve my writing this semester is Gordon Harvey’s “Elements of the Academic Essay”. I thin k this will improve my writing because it gives a breakdown of what all essays should contain and an explanation of what each of these specific items are. This will be helpful because I previously did not know that essays should contain all of these elements and the elements that I knew all essays must contain were elaborated upon. One term that I am unfamiliar with is “stitching”. Stitching is the connection of different parts of arguments through use of transition words and by recollection of previous statements.

15. james kadnar says:

one concept, idea, or stradegy from reading through writing that i think will improve my writing this semster is to make use of pre writing techniques such as critical reading , notetaking , brainstorming, summarizing, and outlining. i think this concept will help improve my writing this semster because iin highschool i would never plan anytghing for a paper i would just rush to write one at the last minute and it wouldnt come out as good as somebody who has had an outline and a rough draft that the teacher has looked over. another reason why i think this concept of pre writing will help me is i was never a big note taker i would just retain the knowlegr but because on college there is so much material i must take proper notes and pay attention. one term i was unfamiliar with in learning through writing was de-emphasizes. the deffintion of de-emphasizes is reduce the importance or prominence given to something.

16. Andrew Wildstein says:

While reading “Learning Through Writing”, I came across the ideas of “ten sentence patterns”. I believe these concepts will improve my writing throughout this semester. One reason for this is, by learning to write more sophisticated sentences it will improve my writing skills. In addition, to learn how to write with more compound sentences, using semicolons, my essays will flow better, and it will come across to the reader more clearly. Also, learning to write with the different sentence patterns, I will be able to develop an extraordinary academic paper.

The word I found while reading that I was familiar with was orienting. Orienting is information and an explantation to let the reader know what you are writing about if they are not familiar with the topic being discussed. You are supposed to orient in a short paragraph.

17. One concept, idea, or strategy that I think will improve my writing this semester will be Reflecting. Reflecting to me is a key aspect when writing an academic essay. Reason why I say this is because when you are preparing to demonstrate an argument, you must also consider it’s counter-argument, a possible substitution or problem that a reader can bring up and question the author’s writing. Also, I think that this will improve my writing this semester because reflecting enables you to thoroughly analyze your work. It tells you what mistakes you did in your writing and what could you have done to perfect your writing. In addition, I think that reflecting will improve my writing due to the fact that it takes an account up for many things about a person’s argument. For example, can an argument bring up an implication, a concern, or can it lead to a new topic of conversation. These are all things that can affect an essay. In High School, I would have some trouble going over essays that I would write and I never fully evaluated my work. This is why I look forward to improving my writing this semester. Stitching happens to be when words connect parts of an argument, most of the time by using transitions and bringing up old ideas of an essay . When using old ideas, you have to refer it by using explicit statements and by repeating quotes or statements mentioned earlier in the essay.

18. Daniel Aronov says:

One concept, idea, or strategy that I think will improve my writing this semester will be Reflecting. Reflecting to me is a key aspect when writing an academic essay. Reason why I say this is because when you are preparing to demonstrate an argument, you must also consider it’s counter-argument, a possible substitution or problem that a reader can bring up and question the author’s writing. Also, I think that this will improve my writing this semester because reflecting enables you to thoroughly analyze your work. It tells you what mistakes you did in your writing and what could you have done to perfect your writing. In addition, I think that reflecting will improve my writing due to the fact that it takes an account up for many things about a person’s argument. For example, can an argument bring up an implication, a concern, or can it lead to a new topic of conversation. These are all things that can affect an essay. In High School, I would have some trouble going over essays that I would write and I never fully evaluated my work. This is why I look forward to improving my writing this semester. Stitching happens to be when words connect parts of an argument, most of the time by using transitions and bringing up old ideas of an essay . When using old ideas, you have to refer it by using explicit statements and by repeating quotes or statements mentioned earlier in the essay.

19. I think the idea “write to think” will improve my writing for this semester. I think that way because this idea will actually allow you to be creative. Critical thinking is the ability to analyze the way you think and present evidence for your ideas, rather than simply accepting your personal reasoning as sufficient proof. You gain numerous benefits from mastering critical thinking skills, such as better control of your own learning and empathy for other point of view. The term I was initially unfamiliar with is congenial which in simple words means agreeable, suitable or pleasing in nature or character.